Only trainings that are approved by the EMDR NZ Association are advertised on this website. Currently we have authorised EMDR Institute trainers. The EMDR Institute trainings are identical across the world and recognised by all participating countries. The EMDR Institute website (www.emdr.com) gives more information about their trainings as well as general information about EMDR therapy. EMDRNZ welcomes applications from other internationally accredited trainers to conduct training in NZ.
An EMDR Institute Basic Training is conducted over two lots of 3 day trainings to ensure that the participants optimise their exposure to the practice of EMDR. The 3 day trainings are called Weekend 1 and Weekend 2 , and after each 3 day training participants are encouraged to practise their newly learned skills and then attend 5 hours of supervision/case consultation. This case consultation must occur after Weekend 1 to be eligible to attend Weekend 2, and the second block of case consultation must occur after Weekend 2 for Basic Training to be completed. It is for this reason that you cannot do Weekend 1 and Weekend 2 at the same set of trainings. Please also note the terms Weekend 1 and 2 do not mean the trainings necessarily occur over a weekend.
Basic Training Overview: The EMDR Therapy Basic Training (Weekend 1 and 2) is restricted to licensed mental health practitioners who treat adults and/or children in a clinical setting (see Qualification Section). EMDR is a comprehensive psychotherapy that accelerates the treatment of a wide range of pathologies and self esteem issues related to disturbing events and current life issues. The Basic Training course is a mix of theoretical and experiential training which seeks to familiarise participants with a broad spectrum of EMDR therapy applications to allow for the comfortable and efficient use of EMDR therapy with a wide range of clients and situations. Because EMDR is a specialised approach to therapy it requires supervised training for full therapeutic effectiveness and client safety. The training consists of lectures, live and videotaped demonstrations and supervised practise. Workshop trainers have passed rigorous competency based examinations before being certified to conduct trainings.
Basic Training Certificate of Completion Requirements: To complete the full Basic Training requirements you must have completed the following
- Completion of Weekend 1 and Weekend 2 trainings, which each consist of a three day course including 10 hrs of didactic and 10 hrs of supervised practice,
- Read the textbook EMDR: Basic principles, Protocols and Procedures (Shapiro 2001)
- Had a total of 10 hrs of case consultation with an EMDR Institute Approved Consultant. This can be in individual or group format with regular group supervision being offered to ensure the supervision requirements can be met in a timely way.
Prerequisite Qualifications for Attending Basic Training in EMDR: Training is restricted to mental health professionals (with clinical experience) who have a minimum of a four year tertiary qualification (post graduate level or equivalent) in the mental health sector. A minimum of NZQA level 8 is required.
- Fully registered health professionals with specialist training in mental health (Psychiatry, Clinical Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Nurses, Mental Health Social workers). Training needs to include training in specific psychological interventions, like CBT, DBT etc.
- Mental health professionals not covered by NZ legislation e.g. Counsellors who have a minimum of 4 years academic study, including a Master’s degree or have completed post-graduate qualifications (Honours, Post Graduate Diploma or higher) in mental health; have undertaken training in specific psychological interventions and have worked two years full time (or part time equivalent) under supervision in a mental health setting.
- All clinicians should be registered with their professional association.
- If your Postgraduate degree is in process you may not practice EMDR without supervision until the degree is completed.
Other applicants may be considered but should have relevant academic qualifications, training in psychological interventions and work experience in the mental health sector. If interested in the training, please apply directly to the trainer who will let you know if you are eligible. If the trainer is unsure they will ask the association to consider your application.
Advanced and Speciality Trainings
After basic Training is completed other levels of training include becoming an Accredited Clinician, a Case Consultant (supervisor) and completing Masterclass training.
- Accredited EMDR Clinicians have demonstrated their on-going proficiency in EMDR practice. They are required to met set criteria in terms of one year clinical practice of EMDR after completion of basic training, completion of a minimum of 50 EMDR sessions, have treated a minimum number of 25 clients, and undertaken a minimum of 20 hrs clinical supervision with an EMDR NZ Consultant, which includes witnessing the applicants EMDR clinical work through a video recording or in-vivo, supplied 2 references, one from an EMDRNZ Consultant and the second from a person who can comment about the applicants professional practice and standing. Lastly, the applicant must be a member of the EMDRNZ Association.
- Masterclass Training typically occurs once every two years in NZ. The Masterclass Trainers advertised on this website are endorsed by the EMDR Institute. Masterclass covers the advanced practise of EMDR. A prerequisite to completing Masterclass is attending the Structural Dissociation training which is offered immediately prior to Masterclass. Masterclass training provides lectures, videos and experiential practicums working with complex trauma and dissociation.
- EMDR Association NZ Case Consultants have completed the highest level of training in their practice. They must have a minimum of 3 yrs experience in EMDR, have treated a broad range of diagnosis and complexity of clients, have completed a minimum of 300 EMDR sessions, have treated a minimum of 75 clients, participated in consultation of consultation for a minimum of 20 hrs by an EMDR consultant, participate in regular supervision of their EMDR clinicial work, have undertaken a minimum of 24 hrs of EMDR related Continuous Professional Development since finishing basic Training, and submitted a minimum of three video recordngs or in-vivo sesisons of an EMDR clinical session, an individual EMDR clinical supervision session, and a group EMDR clinical supervision.
ACCESSING BASIC TRAINING
As already noted, only Internationally Accredited Trainers ( e.g, EMDRIA, EMDR Europe, EMDR Asia, EMDR Institute), who have applied to and who have been approved by EMDRNZ are eligible to provide accredited trainings in NZ. The trainers currently approved to provide NZ based training are Sigmund Burzynski and Dr Tom Flewett.
- Dr Tom Flewett is a Generalist Psychiatrist in public practice in New Zealand. He specialises in treating trauma, addictions, and dissociation. Details of his upcoming training can be found at www.emdr.nz
- Sigmund is an Australian based Psychologist who travels to NZ to give his training. He also conducts trainings in Australia and Asia which New Zealanders are welcome to attend. Details of his training can be found at emdr.com.au. Sigmund also organises the Masterclass level of training, which can be registered for on his website.
UPCOMING CASE CONSULTATION/SUPERVISION DATES
Ranka Margetic Sosa is running group case consultation in Wellington 19 May 2018, W2 EMDR Saturday, 26 May 2018, W1 EMDR Saturday, 14 July 2018, W2 EMDR Saturday, 18 August 2018, W1 and W2 EMDR mixed group consultation, Saturday 15 Sept 2018. Venue for all case consultation is: La Bella Italia Business Centre, 10 Nevis Street, Petone, Lower Hutt Duration: 10 am till 4 pm. Participants who are interested should contact her directly on 021 027 38509 or email email@example.com
Astrid Katzur (Clinical Psychologist) is running group case consultation for Weekend 1 on 11.06.18, 20.08.2018 and 29.10.2018, and Weekend 2 on 16.07.2018. All are from 9 – 4 in Wellington. The venue is The Practice, Level 6, 85 The terrace, Wellington 6011. People can register by sending an email on firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting her on her mobile 021 1573494.
Irene Begg (Counsellor – EMDR Facilitator/Case Consultant) is running group case consultation in Auckland on Friday 22th June and Friday 28th Sept for Weekend One trainees and Saturday 23rd June and 29th Sept for Weekend Two trainees (venue to be advised). Irene is also running group case consultation in Rotorua on Friday 8th June, 7th Sept, and Friday 26th Oct for Weekend One trainees and Saturday 9th June, 8th Sept and 27th Oct for weekend 2 trainees. All case consultations are 9am – 3pm. Please email email@example.com to register your attendance, or for further details phone Irene Begg on 027 3493536.
Irene Begg and Glenda Wallace are running group supervision in NELSON for Weekend 1 on Friday 16 Nov 9 to 4 and Weekend 2 Saturday 17 Nov 9 to 4. Venue to be advised. Contact Irene firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Glenda Wallace is doing group case consultation in Dunedin for Wk 1 7th September 2018, 10-4pm. Venue to be confirmed, and for Wk 2 group 8th September 2018, 10-4pm Venue to be confirmed. She is in Christchurch for Wk1 group case consultaion 14th September 2018, 10-4pm. Venue to be confirmed and Wk2 on 15th September 2018. 10-4pm. Venue to be confirmed. Contact Glenda on Glendawallace@gmail.com
FURTHER TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
EMDR Canada is seeking Presentation of Papers to select Speakers for its upcoming April 2018 Annual Conference. If anyone may be interested in presenting at the Canadian conference, in Quebec City, Quebec June 13-15 2018 please contact EMDR Canada on their website.
May 24-25 2018 Ana Go ez, EMDR attachment focused model for children after family violence, Jenny@jennydwyer.com.au
June 22-24 2018 Weekend 1 Basic Training, Christchurch, Dr Tom Flewett, EMDR Institute Trainer, www.emdr.nz
July 2-3 2018 Recent Events R-Tep/G Tep Training, Wellington, Astrid Katzur, R-tep/-tep Trainer, Astrid.email@example.com
July 27-28 2018 EMDRNZ Conference, Wellington, Emdrnzconference2018@gmail.com
August 3-5 2018 Jim Knipe, Mooloolaba, Australia http://www.psychology.org.au/Events/EventView.aspx?ID=19125
August 27-29 2018 Weekend 1 Basic Training, Wellington, Dr Tom Flewett, www.emdr.nz
October 5-7 2018 Weekend 2 Basic Training, Wellington, Dr Tom Flewett, EMDR Institute Trainer www.emdr.nz
November 30.11.2018 – 02.12.2018, Weekend 2 Basic Training, Christchurch, Dr Tom Flewett, EMDR Institute Trainer, www.emdr.nz